Wednesday, January 23, 2008

This is the short story that SVENKY and I created with valuable suggestions from sana.
THE WALK

The chillness of the night did not wither the spirits of the inmates of the hostel. The long four year voyage is about to end in few months. Boisterous crowd thumping the poor volley ball, the animated discussions on university admits, poor junior getting taunted by some wretched souls, all these are typical of a final year hostel life. Oblivious to all these proceedings I am immersed in deep retrospection. With a confused feeling I instantly get up from my bed and start to walk towards the nearby coffee shop.

Though the general tendency of the human mind is to be social, a tinge of loneliness makes you feel good. I chose the longer route through the deserted woody road. The nagging sensation of under achievement creeps in to my present thoughts, giving a slight depressing feel. Chewing over the experiences I see that so much has changed in the college in these years, from new buildings to hi-tech computer centers, but the sad truth is that there is always a fraction of pupils who are bound to remain stagnant in every aspect. The feeling that I may as well belong to this group upsets me.

At this point in time, I see a silhouette of a stoopy figure holding a cigarette, ambling towards me. The brightly lit building behind, prevents me from immediately recognizing him. However his walking style reveals that he is my first year bench mate. Late night gaming and other notorious habits have literally taken over major part of his college life. On comparing myself with him I feel slightly relieved. As I approach him, all my thoughts of how pathetic he is, morphed into a mocking smile. I could only see a total degradation of all his basic abilities and changing him into a filthy creature. Seconds after I crossed him, the shocking image flashed in my mind. It was his reaction. He had given back the same sarcastic smile.

Every one of us have our own way of looking at life, be it our’s or other’s and rightly so.

15 comments:

koushik said...

Scene. One of the best short stories one could read. You remind me of Saki dude....

Anonymous said...

great thought!

thats why I dont worry when others don't respect me. actually all of them!!

Anonymous said...

great thought!

thats why I dont worry when others don't respect me. actually all of them!!

Ram at work said...

this to koushik
thank u dude.

this to vijaytheblogger
ya.. actually its good. but sometimes u need to consider the valuable criticisms from ur frnds too.

sathya said...

You could have removed the last line to let the readers make their own inferences...Its more like stating some philosophy

Ram at work said...

this to sathya.
hmm. ok. but there could have been many interpretations. that one was mine. :)

sk said...

deriving solace from other people's failure is not how ones attitude should be in life. everyone's life is unique and is guided by GOD

Ram at work said...

this to Sk.
ya.. i accept what you say.but most of the times this is how our mind work.we look around and judge ourselves by comparing ourselves with ppl. around. life is peaceful in this way though on a absolute scale we may have failed.

Anonymous said...

super da... i have felt this too many times... nicely put into words...

Ram at work said...

this to vigneswaralu.
maybe this feeling is common to everyone.

Anonymous said...

Nice story... MANI SIR SHUD READ THIS...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Came here through some source..Nicely expressed:)
The lone feeling of failure vanishes as one starts looking at what is lying ahead. True?

SSS said...

koool one...
very much similra to the post i just made

Priya said...

A deserving climax for a well written post... kudos!